Managing Attorney Position
Mountain States Legal Foundation (“MSLF”) is a nonprofit, public interest legal foundation dedicated to protecting the right to own and use property, limited and ethical government, individual liberty, and the free enterprise system. MSLF litigates cases of national significance on behalf of clients seeking to protect their private property rights and individual liberties from government overreach. Specifically, MSLF seeks to establish precedents that protect constitutional freedoms, limit the power of federal agencies, protect private property from government intrusion, and protect the right to earn a living. MSLF attorneys practice in federal and state courts, participate in agency proceedings, and write amicus curiae briefs in cases of national importance that are central to MSLF’s mission.
The Managing Attorney will be a strategic and innovative litigator with significant trial level experience. The Managing Attorney will be primarily responsible for his own caseload, litigating cases from the filing of a complaint to the argument or trial. Additionally, the Managing Attorney will assist the Chief Legal Officer in supervising and mentoring staff attorneys. Responsibilities will also include developing new cases, extensive factual and legal research, discovery, motion practice, and appellate advocacy.
The managing attorney will report to the Chief Legal Officer.
- 7+ years of experience
- Significant litigation experience to include discovery, briefs, motion practice, court appearances, and appellate work.
- Federal trial or appellate experience
- Strong research and writing skills.
- Desire to learn about different areas of the law.
- A team leader and mentor. The Managing Attorney must be willing to assist in leading a team of junior attorneys in complex litigation matters, and overseeing and developing their skills through the litigation process.
- Passion for MSLF’s mission: a deep interest in protecting the right to own and use property, limited and ethical government, individual liberty, and the free enterprise system
- Licensed to practice law in Colorado or eligible to waive into the Colorado bar
Qualified candidates should submit the following in one PDF file with your name in the file:
- Cover letter detailing:
- your salary requirements
- why you are interested in the position, MSLF’s mission, and how your experience and background will ensure success
- your interest in relocating to Denver metro area
- Writing sample (preferably a brief)
- References are appreciated but not required
Materials should be emailed in one PDF document to Lauren Skiver with Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: firstname.lastname@example.org
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. No phone calls, please.